When traveling we have met some great people who we have become friends with. Usually when we stay at caravan parks for a few days on while staying on aires. Some of these people invite us to come and visit and stay with them. We have visited many people and have been warmly welcomed into their home. Before we do so we follow a few guidelines.
- We only give out our details to other people when they ask for it. We don’t impose as we are the visitors coming to Europe.
- We only agree to visit if afterwards we still keep in contact via e-mail and build up a repour with them.
- Fish and friends go off in three days. What I mean by that is that when you leave fish out it goes off and stinks. When we visit people we do not want to overstay our welcome so we limit our stays to 3 days or less. People have their own lives to lead and we have a great time together but we always stick to our fish rule.
- While we are there we always contribute and offer to pay our way. Sometimes they do not let us and tell us that we are there guests but we offer all the same. We are there to share time with them we do not want to be freeloaders.
- When we leave we always have a gift for them in appreciation of their hospitality.
Some people over the years we have visited regularly and have become good friends. For example we have German friends who we met in Hungary on our first trip and have visited with them and their families four times. Even so we still stick to the same guidelines.